I love a good Caprese salad. It’s refreshing and just makes me feel so healthy and Italian! But this week when I was making Caprese salad as a side dish for dinner, I wanted to make it a little more hearty. Digging through my refrigerator, I happened to find an eggplant that I purchased the week before at the farmer’s market. What a great new ingredient to add to the Caprese salad!, I thought, as I sliced it up and threw it in the oven. And you know what? It was delicious and so easy to make! The oven does all the work for you while you slice up your tomatoes and mozzarella. A simple salad that’s easy to make, delicious, and looks amazing? Get your Mediterranean on and make this for dinner tonight.
Oven-Roasted Eggplant Caprese Salad
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1-2 tomatoes
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella (1 mozzarella ball)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Balsamic graze
- Fresh basil leaves, optional
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Clean and cut eggplant into slices that are about 1/2 inch thick. Place slices on a cooking sheet covered with non-stick spray.
- Brush eggplant slices with olive oil and season with a little salt and pepper. Place cooking sheet in the oven to bake for about 25 minutes.
- While your eggplant is baking, clean tomatoes and slice them. Slice mozzarella as well. (The thickness of your slices is up to you. I sliced my tomatoes and mozzarella almost 1/2 inch thick.)
- When the eggplant is golden brown and soft (you’ll notice the difference in texture when you see it), remove the eggplant from the oven and allow it a few minutes to cool.
- Layer eggplant slices, tomato slices, and mozzarella slices on a serving plate. If you have basil leaves, sprinkle them on top. Drizzle olive oil and balsamic glaze over the top of the salad, and sprinkle a little salt and pepper on top.
- Eat and enjoy! Mangia!