Ah summertime, what a wonderful time of the year! Even someone like myself who lacks air conditioning in a sweltering season like this one has to appreciate how nice it is to have sunshine and warmth. The weather just makes me want to listen to reggae music and be outside more.
Specifically, the weather makes me want to go to the beach. Last weekend and this weekend were my first real beach weekends, and despite the fact I did not go swimming in the water (I like the beach, I’m not particularly fond of super cold ocean water), I really had a wonderful time. Even have the tan lines to prove it.
There are plenty of things about being close to the coastline that are enjoyable to me. From a food standpoint, its definitely all about the sea food. I love fish. Not only is fish tasty, it is a lean protein and a great source of omega-3 fatty acids.
This Light Tuna Avocado Salad is made to bring the seafood to you, wherever you may be and especially if you fear cooking seafood. This recipe uses canned tuna because its inexpensive, stores well, and can be incorporated into the salad in no time. And I added avocado for obvious reasons: avocado makes everything better.
Makes this salad, eat healthy, and have yourself a little beach day no matter where you are!
Light Tuna Avocado Salad (Serves 1)
- 1 can of tuna fish in water, drained
- 1/2 cup yogurt (I used Fage 0% fat Greek Yogurt)
- 1/2 avocado, peeled and diced
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 cup of greens (mixed greens, Romaine, spinach…pick your favorite!)
- Optional: a dash of Sriracha adds a nice spicy kick!
- Mix drained tuna with yogurt and avocado. Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.
- Place tuna salad on top of greens of choice OR spread salad onto bread for a delicious and flavorful sandwich!