A dish so good I made it twice!
Seriously, this dip is that good. I had a potluck to go to a couple of weeks ago and wanted to bring something that everyone could snack on, and that was easy for me to throw together. This dish accomplishes those two goals and so much more: it is also beautiful to look at (you have to admit even though it’s in Tupperware those layers are gorgeous), and healthy to boot! Plenty of vegetables in this powerhouse of a party food. And it looks so fun and festive that people will enjoy eating it without even realizing that they are making a nutritious choice.
It was enjoyed so much the first time that I made it again for my brother’s graduation party the next week. And it looked even prettier in the serving bowl my mom had on hand. Served with some multigrain pita chips or fresh pita bread, this appetizer is certain to be a crowd-pleaser that everyone enjoys.
Mediterranean Seven-Layer Dip (adapted from Jackie’s recipe at Domestic Fits. All of her recipes are amazing and I highly recommend checking out her blog )
- 16 oz. hummus (homemade or store-bought)
- 1/2 of a large red onion
- 1 large beefsteak tomato
- 1 large cucumber (or package of smaller cucumbers)
- 1/4 cup olives (Kalamata olives are the best for this dish)
- 1/4 cup marinated artichoke hearts
- Feta cheese (how much you add really depends on how much you love Feta-and how large you want that layer to be…I used 3/4 cup)
- Bag of pita chips, or slices of pita bread, for serving
- Dice the tomato into small pieces and set them on a paper towel. Lay another paper towel over them a lightly press to release juices. This will get rid of excess fluid and keep your hummus layer from becoming watery. (Another option: put the tomato pieces into a colander and let the juices strain into a glass. Now you have fresh tomato juice!)
- Pit and dice the olives.
- Dice all the ingredients into small pieces. You want your pita to be able to withstand the weight of all seven layers!
- Assemble the dish (I recommend this order from bottom to top: hummus, cucumber, tomato, onion, artichoke hearts, olives, and feta).