It’s starting to feel a lot like summertime!
And with the sunshine comes a yearning desire for smoothies, frozen yogurt, and plenty of fresh salads. Maybe it’s the heat, maybe it’s the fact it’s swimsuit season, regardless I like to keep my summer meals fresh, tasty, and light. Which is why my boyfriend and I made summer rolls last weekend.
Summer rolls are rice paper wrappers than encompass heaps of fresh vegetables, rice noodles, herbs, and sometimes chicken or shrimp. These rolls are usually served with a dipping sauce, and they taste incredible.
What I love about summer rolls is that they are versatile. You could put anything you would like into your summer rolls when you make them yourself! Another great thing is that the basic supplies of summer rolls (rice wrappers and rice noodles) come in large quantities. So you could buy these 2 items and have multiple nights worth of summer roll supplies. And if you’re changing up the ingredients going into the summer rolls you’ll never get bored.
Making the summer rolls is really fun too! My boyfriend and I were cracking each other up with our summer roll wrapping skills (or lack thereof). Once we got the hang of it the rolls started looking normal, but there were definitely some blooper moments since softened rice paper sticks to itself fairly easily.
I hope I have convinced you to try making summer rolls during this summer season. They’re a unique and refreshing way to eat your vegetables, so go ahead and starting rollin’!
- 1 package rice paper wrappers
- 1 package rice noodles
- Vegetables of choice, cut into match sticks (examples: cucumber, scallions, carrots)
- Protein of choice (optional; suggestions: chicken, shrimp, tofu)
- Mung bean sprouts; can also use other sprouts (for example: alfalfa)
- Herb leaves (mint, cilantro, basil, parsley)
- Lettuce (Boston or Romaine work well)
- Fruit (optional; we used mango)
- Dipping Sauce (I used House of Tsang’s Bangkok Peanut Sauce)
- Cook rice noodles according to the directions on the package.
- Rinse and pat dry all vegetables, fruit, sprouts, lettuce, and herb leaves
- Cut vegetables into thin strips
- Slice protein of choice into thin strips
- Create an assembly line for the ingredients. Having them all within arms reach will make it easier to create your summer roll.
- Fill a pan with warm water and set it on the counter near you assembly line. One at a time, soak a spring roll wrapper in the warm water for 45 seconds (it will become translucent), then remove.
- Lay the softened wrapper on a clean, flat surface. Place a whole leave of lettuce on top of the wrapper, then top with ingredients of choice (including the rice noodles).
- To create the roll, first fold the sides, and then roll the wrapper forward while tucking the ingredients inside the summer roll.
- Repeat until you create the desired number of summer rolls. Dip rolls into sauce and enjoy!