I did not always feel this way, but I love watching football. Don’t get me wrong, I never hated the sport; I just didn’t understand the complexity of it until a couple of years ago. I think all the credit for making me an NFL fan goes to my boyfriend. For our first date he took me to my first professional football game (Patriots vs. Ravens) and we regularly spend our Sunday afternoons in the fall watching and talking about football with plates full of nachos and wings. We even went to the Super Bowl last year. So it’s no surprise that as soon as the playoffs roll around each January, I start planning up the perfect Super Bowl party food.
You didn’t think I could go Super Bowl week without posting the most perfect bar food known to mankind, did you? I couldn’t resist. I couldn’t even wait until this Sunday! I had to make Buffalo Chicken Calzone now.
Making this calzone was super easy! The chicken was poached, which is a very healthy method of preparing chicken, and one sure to impress your friends. The calzone is loaded with fresh mozzarella and cheddar to give it some calcium, a little extra protein, and a great melty texture. The whole wheat pizza dough is homemade and can be whipped up in under 20 minutes. And I don’t even have to explain the gloriousness that is buffalo sauce. All in all, this dish is a win. Make this on Sunday and prepare to be the most favorite person at your Super Bowl party.
Buffalo Chicken Calzone (Servings varied based on hunger/size of slices)
Whole Wheat Pizza Dough:
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup white flour
- 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cupe cheddar cheese
- 2 chicken breasts, poached
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce
- 1 egg (for egg wash)
- 1/2 cup blue cheese dressing (can substitute ranch dressing, if preferred)
- Extra buffalo sauce and dressing (because you can never have enough)
- To make the pizza dough: in a medium bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes. Stir in flour, salt and oil. Beat until smooth. Let rest for 5 minutes. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat or roll into a round. Spread dough out on an oiled baking pan.
- Place the chicken breast in the bottom of a small pot. Fill the pot with 1 1/2-2 cups of water. Bring the water to a boil and then bring the water to a simmer for 10 minutes. Next, turn the heat off and let the chicken sit in the hot water for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and shred it. Cover the chicken in buffalo sauce (as much as you like..I would recommend 1/3-1/2 cup).
- Layer the following ingredients on one half of the spread pizza dough: 2 tablespoons dressing, cheddar cheese, chicken, and mozzarella cheese. Fold the empty half of pizza dough over the half covered in toppings, and pinch the edges of the pizza dough together. Whisk one egg in a bowl and cover the top of the pizza lightly with this egg wash. Cut a slit or two on the top of the calzone so that air can escape while the calzone is cooking.
- Bake the calzone at 475 degrees (make sure the oven is HOT when you put the calzone in) for 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove calzone from the oven and wait as patiently as you can for it to cool. Best dipped in dressing or buffalo sauce and served with celery, carrots, and a sporting event. Enjoy!