So what do you do when one of your closest friends suddenly becomes your neighbor? You hang out all of the time, of course!
My college friend Shannon just moved down the street from me, which means I have a new running partner/baking buddy. Essentially, life just got infinitely more awesome.
Shannon and I have a lot in common, and one of the most important things is our mutual love for scones. Scones are perfection in the baking world: slightly sweet and the perfect companion for your hot tea or coffee. We already knew we liked banana scones, but adding the Twix pieces just took scones to another decadent level. It’s the perfect way to use up that leftover Halloween candy!
Banana & Twix Scones (makes 6-8 big scones, or 12 smaller scones)
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup loosely packed brown sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cups cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup chopped up Twix candy bars
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, soda, salt and cinnamon until combined.
- Add butter and using your fingers, a fork or a pastry blender mix it together and combine until the butter forms little crumbs.
- Make a crater in the center and add in buttermilk, vanilla extract and bananas. Mix with a large spoon until a dough forms and comes together – it will be sticky! Add in your Twix. Cover your counter and hands with flour or you will have a big sticky mess on your hand (literally).
- Divide the dough in half and pat it into 6-inch circles on the floured surface. Cut into 6 or 8 wedges, then place on a baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes.