I don’t constantly crave pasta, but I definitely do get into a “pasta mood.” To me, pasta is an indulgence, and such a fun dish to make because there are so many delicious and wholesome items that can take simple cook spaghetti to another level.
I spend the majority of today at a Micronutrients Supplement Summit. I had to get up at 6:00am on a Saturday to go (I am an early riser but 6am on the weekend is rough). But I do have to say I am glad I attended. I spent the whole day listening to educators and doctors lecture on the topic of supplements, their usefulness, and where the nutrients these supplements “supplement” can be found naturally. Oh, and they also fed me breakfast and lunch: BONUS!
I have to say my biggest takeaway from the whole event was that if I could obtain most (if not all) of my recommended dietary amounts of nutrients from food, I should. And that is exactly what inspired this here pasta recipe. My goal was to incorporate as many nutrients as I could. Thus, this pasta recipe is filled with fresh vegetables, whole grains, healthy fats, and salmon. I will save you the laundry list of vitamins and minerals coursing through this dish, but I must tell you it tastes good to be this healthy! Oh, and the pasta took maybe 30 minutes to make. Wholesome, filling, and delicious: done.
Salmon, Veggie, and Whole Wheat Pasta (serves 4)
- 4 pieces of salmon (or 4 Trader Joe’s frozen salmon patties)
- 1 package uncooked whole wheat spaghetti
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion
- 2 small zucchini
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 6 whole garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup mizithra cheese (or grated Parmesan cheese)
- Bring water to boil in a pot. Cook spaghetti according to instructions
- Cook salmon and cut into pieces with a fork
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Throw in sliced red onion and garlic (minced or whole-I throw the garlic cloves in whole). Cover skillet with lid and let the onion cook for a few minutes.
- Throw sliced zucchini and halved cherry tomatoes onto skillet. Gently move the vegetables around in the skillet, and then cover for a few minutes, allowing the vegetables to brown slightly. Remove from heat and place vegetables in a bowl.
- In a large bowl, toss 2 tablespoons olive oil, cooked pasta, salmon, and vegetables together with the mizithra cheese. Serve immediately.