I have found a way to make cookies are that are so good you won’t want to share them.
You all know of my ongoing love affair with cookies. They are sweet, warm, and satisfying. They are not always healthy but my-oh-my are the delicious. I try and try again to avoid their temptations, but they always manage to lure me back. I constantly wonder what my life would be like without them; not as wonderful I can tell you that!
My aspiration to live a healthy life through practicing good nutrition is slightly more challenging with this long-term relationship I have with the cookie, but I am a strong believer in that living a healthy lifestyle means allowing oneself to be happy. I would rather have a slight sugar coma occasionally rather than suffer silently, drooling at every bakery window I pass.
So it’s with my rant about “eating nutritiously but still baking cookies” that I give you cream cheese chocolate chip cookies. Because what could be better than cookies that taste almost like they are bites of chocolate cheesecake? Just be smart about it and try to resist eating the whole dozen in one sitting.
Cream Cheese Chocolate Chip Cookies (makes one dozen medium-sized cookies)
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 2-3 Tbsp cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 small egg (or 1/2 large egg)
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (plus 2 Tbsp, if needed)
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- pinch salt, optional and to taste
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or chunks (I used chunks)
- Combine the butter, cream cheese, sugars, egg, vanilla, and beat with an electric hand mixer for 7 minutes. You want to make sure it is light and fluffy, so hang in there!
- Add the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, optional salt, and mix until just combined.
- Fold in chocolate chunks/chips
- Bake in oven preheated to 350 degrees F for 8-9 minutes (until golden). Remove those yummy little treats from the oven. Allow the cookies to cool for 5-10 minutes before lunging for them (they will fall apart otherwise). Enjoy them in a sneaky hideaway because you will want them all to yourself!