As you all know, I love chocolate and baked goods. And the combination of the two is my kryptonite, for I cannot resist a well-made brownie. When I saw this recipe online I knew it was worth trying. I never underestimate the ease of making brownies from a box, but as far as brownies-from-scratch go this brownie recipe is stellar. Knock back some of the sugar in the recipe like I did and add some nuts for a serving of healthy fat, and you end up with a delicious, chewy brownie that satisfies your chocolate craving with minimal impact to your waistline!
The Best Brownies Ever (original recipe featured on Yahoo Shine; makes 16 brownies)
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder (spooned into cup to measure, then leveled)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, chilled
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 cup walnut pieces (I decided to leave them out this time, but the brownies taste great with them!)
- Preheat your oven to 325°F and position your rack in bottom third of oven. Line an 8x8x2-inch metal baking pan with foil, pressing foil firmly against pan sides and leaving 2-inch overhang. Coat foil with nonstick spray.
- Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Continue cooking until butter stops foaming and browned bits form at bottom of pan, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Immediately add sugar, cocoa, 2 teaspoons water, vanilla, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Stir to blend. Let the mixture cool for 5 minutes.
- Add eggs to hot mixture 1 at a time, beating vigorously to blend after each addition.
- When mixture looks thick and shiny, add flour and stir until blended. Beat vigorously 60 strokes. Stir in nuts. Transfer batter to prepared pan.
- Bake brownies until toothpick inserted into center comes out almost clean (about 25 minutes). Cool in pan on rack. Using foil overhang, lift brownies from pan. Cut into 4 strips. Cut each strip crosswise into 4 brownies. Store airtight at room temperature.
One brownie (1/16th of the recipe) contains: Calories (kcal) 199.7
%Calories from Fat 57.2
Fat (g) 12.7
Saturated Fat (g) 5.2